Search This Blog

Thursday, November 19, 2009

Emraan Hashmi does a Bachchan in "Once Upon A Time in Mumbai"

Moving away from his serial kisser image, actor Emraan Hashmi will seen playing an underworld don in period flick `Once Upon A Time in Mumbai` where his look is inspired by none-other-than Bollywood mega star Amitabh Bachchan.


Hashmi will be embracing Bachchan`s dressing style of 70`s in the film which details the emergence of underworld in India.

"The film show how the underworld slowly trickled in the country in late 60s. I played a gangster in my first film `Footpath` which was more contemporary and dealt with drug issues in Mumbai, however, Once Upon... is a completely different take," Hashmi told reporters.

"It takes a rewind back to those times when Bachchan did `Deewar` in 70`s. Those are the kinds of clothes that I will be wearing in the film. Even the whole look of the city has been designed to depict that era. We will be seen driving old cars," Hashmi said while describing his look in the film.

`Once upon a Time in Mumbai` Chronicles the Mumbai Mafia world which started with gambling, bootlegging and smuggling in 60`s and later spread its wings in 70`s and 80`s. The shooting of the film will finish by January next year.

National-award-winner Actor Ajay Devgn will reportedly play a character designed on the lines of former underworld don Haji Mastan while Kangana Ranaut is set to play his love interest. Directed by Milan Luthria, the movie also stars Prachi Desai in a key role.

Hashmi, who was last seen in disaster romance `Tum Mile` extensive research before portraying a character onscreen.

"Eventually it is the director`s depiction. But I believe working for the character sets. I am more of a studied actor than a improviser. I need to know the entire journey of the character before playing it with conviction," Hashmi said.

The 30-year-old star, known as Bhatt camp`s blue eyed boy, has delivered hits like `Murder`, `Gangster`, `Jannat`, from the Bhatt banner. However, Hashmi reckons that an actor can get "stunted" working with "a particular camp".

"I have done seven films outside Bhatt camp but if you compare the ratio of the hits I have delivered, the ones with the camp is more weighted. But then whenever I get an interesting script from the Bhatts I make it a point to do it," Hashmi said.

"But I am not bound by a production house. I know that ifyou get complacent and work with only one camp you kind of get stunted as an actor," he added.

The actor who broke the mould of Hindi cinema and became the undisputed "serial kisser" of Bollywood believes that the image will fade away as he is doing different kind of films.

"I think eventually it will fade away. People don`t forget very easily I understand. But when I move on to different things, people will see me for the roles I am doing and it has started happening," Hashmi said.

"Moreover, everybody is doing it (kissing) on screen these days. I have earned this image but it does not matter anymore. I don`t embrace it and at the same time I don`t reject it. I do not sign a film with an intention of making or breaking an image," the actor added.

No comments: